A two-year-old English Bull Terrier called Sidney has shocked experts at a St Clair Vets in Eastbourne who discovered dozens of foreign bodies in his stomach!
The items snaffled by Sidney included deflated balls, bits of plastic and various materials, all discovered in his stomach and intestines, prompting one member of the team at St Anne’s Veterinary Group to say: “I haven’t seen that many foreign items removed from one patient in the nearly 20 years I’ve been nursing.”
Of course, having so many unwanted items in his stomach was not good for Sidney and his health started to deteriorate after eating one ball too many, leaving him vomiting up bits of plastic and shivering. He also didn’t want to eat or drink anything, or even go on walks.
After realising something was wrong with his pet, Sidney’s owner Tony Saunders, from Eastbourne, took him to St Anne’s Vets, where the vast array of items were discovered courtesy of an exploratory laparotomy surgery.
Indeed, it was a very serious situation for Sidney, especially with foreign bodies in his intestines, and it required complicated surgery to resolve.
Thankfully, the talented team at St Anne’s, led by vet surgeon Hetty Pullan, were able to successfully remove the foreign bodies and Sidney has since made a full recovery, much to the relief of owner Tony.
A shaken Tony said: “We were so shocked to discover the cause of Sidney’s discomfort but also relieved to know what the issue was.
“The St Annes team kept us fully up-to-date with Sidney’s progress and his recovery has been remarkable. He’s already back to his normal boisterous self and playing with his older brother.”
Highlighting the dangers that objects in the house can pose to dog owners, Hetty said: “A house full of small objects can often be too tempting for dogs who don’t know when to stop eating and even more so for those with a tendency to scavenge.
“If you believe your dog has swallowed something it shouldn’t, then our advice is to take them straight to the vet. Prompt action may mean the item can be removed using minimally invasive methods.”